Special Announcement regarding NATI Board of Directors
Dear NATI Members,
On Thursday April 7, 2011, NATI held a Special Meeting to bring the membership together to discuss the recommendations from our recent Board of Directors strategic planning activities and governance review. The following items were tabled and approved unanimously:
- Directors of the Board will be those from the regular membership that represent a holistic view of the challenges and issues that face the broader membership regardless of the sector they operate within. The Board will be the custodian of the strategic plan, and build upon the premise of being a strong representative of the advanced technology sectors through effective policy and advocacy management.
- Directors of the Board will be involved in all decision making processes that would go to the Board therefore removing the need of an Executive Committee.
- The Board will continue to require leadership, which will remain with the position of Chair. A defined succession plan is now instituted whereby a Vice Chair will be elected from within the Board of Directors at the first Board meeting after an Annual General Meeting (AGM) for a one year term. The Vice Chair will then assume the role of Chair.
- Overall size of the Board of Directors will be reduced from the current structure of fourteen (14) to seven (7), effective at the next AGM. · Sector development and representation will follow a cluster model whereby all interested stakeholders will work together for the betterment of the sector and will have a channel of communication back to the Board of Directors.
There is recognition that these changes will require a period of transition for the Association. The following recommendations were approved unanimously for the incoming Board of Directors at the next AGM:
- Paul Dubé will remain as Chair for a one (1) year term.
- Gerard Duggan, Cliff Roberts and Gary Lovell will remain with the Board to fulfill the remaining year of their current term.
- Chris Spurvey and Geoff Davis will return as Directors, each for a two (2) year term.
- An election will be held at the next AGM for one (1) Director for a two (2) year term.
I’d like to thank all those that were able to attend and actively participate at the Special Meeting last week. NATI is well positioned for future success. Details of the election and the date of the AGM will be forthcoming in the next week.